Lead Practice Nurse
Forest View Medical Centre
The closing date is 18th August 2023
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Lead Practice Nurse at Forest View Medical Centre (FVMC). The Lead Practice Nurse role is a vital and varied one and the successful candidate must be able to undertake the full range of core clinical competencies as identified in the job description, and be a strong clinical and administrative lead to the team.
The ideal candidate will be available for 30-37.5 hours per week, and we envisage a split of the role into 3/4 clinical days and 1 day of administration/management. This will be reviewed once the new Nurse Lead has settled into the role.
To provide leadership to the Practice Nurse Team in collaboration with GP Partners and Clinical/Business Managers, to develop an effective, quality driven Practice Nurse Service. Primary Care provision rapidly changes and the role is expected to evolve to reflect this.
The individual will hold a RGN qualification who can demonstrate an ability to practice autonomously achieving excellent standards of care. You will be accountable for your own professional actions.
Main duties of the job
- To provide clinical leadership within the nursing team
- To be responsible for the line management of the treatment room team
- To manage the care of patients with long term health conditions. This may include organisational responsibility for specific disease areas.
- To ensure the effective management of wounds, ensuring ongoing learning and development for the nursing team to improve rates of healing and patient outcomes.
- To provide leadership and support in the relevant practice services e.g. LES, DES and other incentive schemes
- Ensure treatment room compliance and effectiveness (including stock control, ordering and vaccine/cold chain management)
- Responsible for the nursing team rota and annual leave calendar
- Provide pastoral support for staff when required, particularly in relation to issues that affect their ability to work.
- To set up robust nursing protocols where appropriate
- Undertake annual appraisals and regular reviews with the nursing team
- To help develop the nursing services offered by the practice.
Forest View Medical Centre is a high achieving QOF practice of approximately 16, 700 patients. We have a truly varied Multi-Disciplinary clinical team comprising: GP Partners, GPs, Advanced Mental Health Practitioner, Practice Nurses, Health Care Assistants and a great team of allied health professionals including a Physician Associate, ANPs, a Paramedic Practitioner, a Clinical Pharmacist. We also have strong and supportive administrative and management teams. The practice is committed to the ongoing development of all staff and the focus is on being a supportive, caring and fun environment to work in.
We are located in the Rhondda Valley, within the heart of Treorchy which is a vibrant valley’s town with good road and rail links.
- Identify and plan training needs of team members and actively promote life-long learning.
- Provide induction training for new members of the team.
- Ensure skills of team members are appropriately and effectively used to deliver care.
- Work effectively within the nursing team and along side the medical and administration teams
- Ensure communication systems are running smoothly and that staff are kept fully informed of changes in procedures.
- Ensure all documentation pertaining to practice nursing (such as PGDs, policies and protocols) is up to date and available for reference, ensuring all team members work within these guidelines.
- Plan and carryout bi-monthly team meetings, ensuring maximum attendance and actions are completed in a timely fashion.
- Manage annual/study/sick leave ensuring adequate and appropriate cover to meet demand.
- Management of ordering and storage of clinical supplies including vaccines
- Oversee the regular checks of emergency equipment.
- Take part in the appraisal process for Practice Nurses and Health Care Assistants.
Core Clinical Responsibilities: (as qualified to do so)
Assist in and perform core competencies related to patient care
- Cervical cytology
- Contraceptive advice
- Chaperoning and assisting patients where appropriate who are being examined by another clinician
- Routine immunizations/Childhood immunisations/travel immunisations
- Wound care
- Removal of Sutures
- Requesting pathology tests, for example urine culture, swabs
- Provide general and specific health screenings to patients (within agreed protocols) with referral to GPs as necessary
- Following agreed clinical protocols with referral to senior nurses or GPs as appropriate
- To assist in the management of clinical indicators (QOF) and update patient records at every opportunity.
Participate in the Management of Chronic Disease Clinics and Specialist Care (as qualified to do so)
- Asthma clinic
- COPD Clinic
- Diabetes clinic
- CHD clinic
- Hypertension Management
- Ulcer care/Doppler
- Provide nursing treatments and procedures to patients in participation with GPs or independently to agreed protocols.
- Provide general and specific health screening to the patients (within agreed protocols) with referral to GP as necessary.
- Advise patients on general health care and promote disease prevention opportunistically.
Administrative and Professional Responsibilities
- Attend and participate in Practice meetings as required.
- Attend meetings and education sessions outside the practice as required, with dissemination of information as appropriate.
- Actively participate in educational programmes for the whole primary health care team, including medical students in relation to areas of clinical and practice nursing expertise.
- Provide professional advice on practice developments, recommending changes to working practices in line with evidence based knowledge.
- To initiate, review and update policies and procedures pertaining to practice nursing on at least an annual basis, in conjunction with GP or Practice Manager as appropriate.
- To develop new policies and procedures pertaining to practice nursing when and where necessary.
- To assist in the management of clinical indicators (QOF) and ensure team members are updating patient records at every opportunity.
- Assist in the cover of absent colleagues.
- Have a good working knowledge of relevant areas of clinical systems and other programmes as appropriate to role.
- Train team members in use of appropriate systems.
- Demonstrate a good working knowledge of the practice policy on information governance, and ensure team members are compliant.
Research and Audit
- Contribute to the collection of data for research/audit purposes.
- Identify audit topics relevant to the team.
The post-holder will recognize the importance of effective communication within the team and will strive to:
- Communicate effectively with other team members and outside agencies.
- Communicate effectively with patients and carers
- Recognize peoples needs for alternative methods of communication and respond accordingly
The post-holder will strive to maintain quality within the Practice, and will:
- Alert other team members to issues of quality and risk
- Assess own performance and take accountability for own actions, either directly or under supervision
- Contribute to the effectiveness of the team by reflecting on own and team activities and making suggestions on ways to improve and enhance the teams performance
- Work effectively with individuals in other agencies to meet patients needs
- Effectively manage own time, workload and resources
- Qualifications/Certificates in Practice Nurse specific skills areas
- CPR/anaphylaxis training undertaken in the last 12 months
- Previous experience of General Practice
- Specialist qualification in diabetic management and / or
- Specialist qualification in COPD management and/or
- Specialist qualification in Asthma management
- Knowledge of the administration and management of Travel Vaccinations and Child and Baby Immunisations
- Specialist qualification in leg ulcer care
- Cervical cytology
- Experience of managing a large nursing team, to include rota and annual leave planning, training and supervision, mentoring and undertaking annual appraisals..
- Able to demonstrate enthusiasm to developing nursing skills in self and others
- An understanding, acceptance and adherence to the need for strict confidentiality
- Ability to use own judgement, resourcefulness and common sense
- Ability to work without direct supervision and determine own workload priorities
- Ability to work as part of an integrated multi-skilled team
- Pleasant and articulate
- Able to work under pressure
- Able to work in a changing environment
- Able to use own initiative
- Ability to give direction and lead the team clinically and administratively
- Ability to ensure HCAs are competent in all required procedures
- Ability to oversee the workload and clinical education of team members, ensuring work is prioritised appropriately
- Experience of working in accordance with the UKCC Code of Professional Conduct and The Scope of Professional Practice
- Experience of dealing with the public/patients
- Experience of working in General Practice
- Competent in basic nursing duties required for the post
- Excellent communication skills
- Evidence of CPD
- Ability and experience to undertake the range of practice nurse skill described in the job description.
- Experience of EMIS Web clinical system and Docman
- Experience of Microsoft Office software
- Experience of leading or managing a team
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website.
Forest View Medical Centre
Abergorki Industrial Estate, Ynyswen, Treorchy, CF42 6DL
For more information or to apply I’m happy for candidates to apply by sharing a copy of their CV together with a cover letter applying for the post to:
Practice Manager (Treorchy – Forest View Medical Centre) firstname.lastname@example.org